"If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart." Nelson Mandela.
Our aim at The Annunciation Catholic Infant School is to ensure that children develop a good basic understanding and a love of Spanish. We help them acquire the foundations for further foreign language learning at Key Stage 3 and a smoother transfer to Secondary School.
Learning a foreign language provides an opening to other cultures, fosters children´s curiosity and deepens their understanding of the world. All children regardless of their background and ability are encouraged to develop their full potential in Spanish. All pupils feel engaged and enjoy learning Spanish within the context of the culture of the Hispanic world.
Spanish is taught via a topic approach which changes each half term. Each year group, follows differentiated learning outcomes that encourage children’s understanding and knowledge of the Spanish language to deepen and progress.
Topics are revisited regularly with an added skill or challenge to ensure that learning is embedded. The lesson structure each week also allows time to revisit the previous week’s knowledge and build upon this.
Useful websites to practice vocabulary learnt in class:
- KS2 Spanish BBC bitesize. Clips and games. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zxsvr82
- Hola amigo song. Learn Spanish Greetings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMZzGZu15vk
- Good morning, good evening and good night song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsPH4_ohGYg
- Numbers song 1-20 in Spanish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FEyfy5N3Nc
- The months of the year in Spanish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vjhCLVVSXQ
- The days of the week in Spanish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4fREj60Crk
- Colours and numbers song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiNFXntWOJw
- Head, shoulders, knees and toes song (Body parts) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71hiB8Z-03k
- KS3 Spanish BBC Bitesize. Topics, games and phonics to challenge yourself. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/subjects/zfckjxs
- GCSE Spanish BBC Bitesize. Extension work for native Spanish speakers https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/examspecs/zdggmfr