The History of our Junior School
The Annunciation School was started at the invitation of Cardinal Bourne of the Archdiocese of Westminster who invited the Dominican Sisters to found an all age school intended to serve the newly built Watling Estate. With selfless dedication the Sisters moved to Burnt Oak and using their own funds had the School built in 1931.
The school was originally sited next to the Church and intended to serve the needs of Catholic children of all ages from the parishes of Burnt Oak, Kingsbury and Edgware. After a short time it was soon oversubscribed and a number of classes were given temporary accommodation in North Road.
In 1975, the Sisters, with their usual foresight, purchased a site at The Meads and established the Junior School there. The Junior School was known as St Martin’s until 1995 when the Governors decided that the school should revert to its original name as The Annunciation Catholic Junior School.
The Sisters worked with tireless dedication for almost 60 years in the school until 1988 when the school was handed over to the trusteeship of the Diocese of Westminster.
We are aware of the tremendous sacrifices made by the Dominican Sisters and we hope to emulate their selfless attitudes and work for the best of all our children.